Thursday 22 January 2004

Thinkin' bout singin'

And why we sing in worship.

I've been stimulated by PWoody and his blog, not that I agree especially, although I think he's trying to stir reaction in his posts, rather than posting what he thinks.

Anyway, I just wandered into the lab singing a worship song. (it's OK, I can post from work before 9.00 - I've been in since 7.50am). Made me wonder why I was doing it. I was aware that as I sang it altered my perspective. Postured me toward God. It's not just about the words, although they are important, because they stimulate our our rationality to adoration. It's not about the tune, although it should produce a response from our emotions.

Thinking about the best lead large worship meetings, they all involved orienting people toward God and then taking them closer. I'm not thinking of the meetings where everyone is champing at the bit, and all you have to do it play the first chord and every one's there. But the times where you've travelled to get there, been hassled, experienced family etc. There's a time when everyone gets collected together in some exuberant praise, then a deepening of the intimacy where people can slip into the transcendent worship phase. Finally the 'slow dance' songs, where you're holding your beloved and your beloved is holding you, whispering to you about all kinds of things that really matter. And your heart is open and responsive.

Now I've made it sound really corny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.