Friday 28 January 2005

God has a sense of humour?

I was reading Mark 6 this morning, about where Jesus goes up the mountain to pray (after sending the crowds away) then at about 4 in the morning, walks across the lake to get to the other side.

It always puzzled me - why would Jesus walk on the water? Despite popular portrail, walking on water isn't a sign of holiness. There are accounts of people being caught up in the Spirit and transported elsewhere in an instant, so it wasn't that Jesus needed to walk that way. So how does one account for walking on water?

I wonder if this was omne of those occasions when that 'small, still voice' whispered "now I want you to do something different". Jesus couldn't have known that things would pan out like they did, and from the way Mark reads, he was fully expecting to walk on by. I might be way off beam here, but I reckon this was God's sense of humour, arranging circumstances to teach the disciples, and maybe even to tease theologians down through the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.