Monday 21 February 2005

Talking of building amps

This is it on the inside:



And this is it on the outside (the silver thing on top of the combo):



Plays sweetly, like I hoped it would. I've a couple of things that need to be done, like add power and standby indicator lamps, and a pentode/triode switch for reduced power. I'd also like to add a second channel for Fender type tones - this is much Marshall Territory. Despite the apparently huge transformers on top it's actually quite low output at only 7 watts into 8ohms. Mind you, they are LOUD watts. Through the Laney cab it's sitting on I can get enough volume to make my ears ring from that 10" speaker.

Clean tones are very sweet indeed - it's the first amp I've ever owned where I didn't automatically want a reverb or compressor to fill out the tones. Some of the drive tones are fantastic too, but I need to relocate some of the wires inside because of electromagnetic interference between them causing unpleasant harmonics. Next I need to build a cab to put the thing in. Can't decide at the moment whether to go for the budget/light weight option of 2 X 8" speakers or to save up for a top-end 12"er. I know the ultimate tone would be a Celestion blue alnico speaker, but they're around £140 upward. If I do a trip to the US again soon I may try for an Eminence 'Red Fang' - around £135 over here, but $99 from some US sources i.e. less than half that price.

I'll try to create some clips on Thursday or Friday night. Check out the 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner' for sound clips later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.