Thursday 12 May 2005

Attacked by GAS

Although there is a little point to it this time.

We'll soon need additional transport (with Ben learning to drive) and I'd like another motorcycle. I had bikes up until '92 or '93 (can't remember which now) and I've still got my old leather. Maybe I'd ride a little slower now, although frankly, it's unlikely.



Probably won't happen (if I've got any sense). We'll see.




Which reminds me of the advert an ex-colleague of mine, also a biker, put in a singles column when he was lonely: "motorcyle-riding graduate scientist seeks pre-Raphaelite goddess for wheelies". Unfortunately the wit seemed to be lost on most of the readership, and he was contacted by lots of multiple divorcees with children looking for a quickie. Incredible as it may seem, this wasn't actually what he wanted.

William - if you're reading this, hope everything is going well still.


Anyway, it transpires that I can insure a 1200cc 170mph missile for significantly less than it costs for my boring family estate car. Food for thought.

*edit* Have you any conception of what 170mph on a motorcycle must feel like? One of my bikes wasn't bad, and I remember nudging it up to 105mph on some of the narrow roads on the Isle of Wight a couple of times. The wind pressure makes you struggle to hold your head up, and detail in the verge blurs as it whips past, 10 feet away. Everything gets rather light and twitchy too, with the steering responding fast to the least input. Being 2 up at the time, with a longer stopping distance I was keeping a sharp eye out for ANYTHING that might require evasion. But then speed wasn't my thing - I was always much more of a scratcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.