Thursday 2 February 2006

I thank God that I live

in a country where for most people real poverty is a cultural memory and not a daily experience. Today I've been reminded of what it's like to have grown up in a culture of poorness.

What do you do when you've broken most of a set of plates? Throw them out? The tins you used to store coffee and tea have worn so much that the aluminium shows through: do you keep them? You are able to afford new gadgets for the kitchen, but what about the old ones....? How about clothes that you've not worn for 20 years, but are still 'OK'?

I'm really grateful to be able to throw away the things that are used up, worn out and cracked. I hope Ben (and his wife, whoever she is) will be grateful that we could when it's their turn to help one of us move.

I have a lot to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.