Wednesday 21 June 2006

Early morning blogpost

I’m sat here at my desk trying hard to cool down after cycling in – the wind was behind me, the temperature around 12.5’C and I wanted to push a little harder this morning to make up for my lack of circuit training tonight (church meeting). The office is NOT at 12.5’C (more like 25’C) and humid.

I’ve been sent a ‘humorous’ .pdf file by a friend (thanks Mike D) about rules for women during the world cup. It seems to me that the WC (I LIKE that connotation) brings out the feminine side in me. Just like Wimbledon causes instant ‘bloke-ness’. Sure it is great to see extreme sporting prowess and skill, but mostly this stuff doesn’t pass the ‘so what?’ test.

Guess with footie this is especially strong though. As a kid I was always the one that got picked last for teams. While not having 2 left feet, ball control skills were very minimal and as an instinctive participant, there was never anything exciting about just WATCHING a bunch of guys kicking a bladder about. School football didn’t help either, with memories of standing around in shorts and archaic baggy tracksuits in icy weather, any contact with the ball causing extreme stinging agony to the afflicted limb, fingers too numb to button shirts up afterward. To be honest, if no-one ever played football again then I really wouldn’t care less, except that I wouldn’t want to derive them of their fun.

I just wish it wasn’t big business, with shareholders and the whole 9 yards. Whatever happened to a simple game for the people to play?

9.00ish. Off to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.