Thursday 22 June 2006

Lunchtime blogpost

I wonder if someone can explain to me what the effective difference is between burlesque and stripping?

Burlesque has featured significantly in the press recently (although I had read elsewhere of it) and appears to involve un/partially clad women dancing, sometimes with animals. Stripping (for non-UK readers) involves women dancing and removing their clothes.

I’m puzzled because one is presented as wholesome, broadminded and non-threatening to social morals while the other is seen as sordid and degrading: the first step on the ladder to prostitution and drug dealing.

Anyone know?


On a topic that is kind-of related (over confusion and women) I see the new Episcopalian primate is determined to fan the flames of controversy. In a “2 men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong” way, I can see and feel that the whole thing isn’t right, but I don’t know what the fix is for something broken like this.

To me the whole thing smells of making theological points, and not trying to serve God in humility and honouring other above ourselves. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.