Thursday 29 March 2007

You know you're getting old when......

Your 19 year old son is stronger than you are. By quite a bit.

Yesterday was quite hard, physically. Cycled to and from work, busy day in the lab, circuit training in the evening.

Chris and I got in around 8.30pm from circuits, and then Ben needed to remover the replacement beetle engine from the boot of the car he's been using. Now beetle engines are light - for engines - but they must weigh at least 100 kilos.

He could carry it fine. Me? I struggled.

Mitochondria act like the power stations in our cells, and they're all inherited maternally. As we age they die off, resulting in decreased strength. It has been estimated that a 65 year old man is about as strong (on average) as a 20 year old woman as a result of this.

Today I moved some bulk liquids - 49kg never used to be a big deal, even 5 years ago, but now it's a major effort. Katriona - if you're reading this - my muscles have missed your circuit class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.