Wednesday 14 November 2007

As I was cycling to work this morning through Upper Heyford I heard an aero engine in the distance. Prop' engined aircraft are not unusual around here, but this was slightly different from the usual Piper etc. As it drew overhead I looked up and saw a very familiar planform - I had to 'double take' to make sure I saw what I thought I had.

It didn't sound like a Spit - defo not a Merlin engine - but was much smoother and quieter. The aircraft appeared light grey, with black and white chequerboard markings under the wings. It was too far away to see any further markings, and although it was moving quite quickly, it seemed smaller than I would have expected. As it drew level with the end of Upper Heyford runway it began a long, graceful series of barrel rolls, before eventually disappearing OOS.

I wonder if it could be one of these, although I do remember someone producing a 5/6th (or similar) scale flying airframe a while back - that might account for the apparently small size. Fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.