Sunday 6 January 2008

Thoughts from the leaders conference: Toni

Well, I managed to get to all of it, despite some headaches and a quick dose of serving.

This is a bit of a random record. Some things I'll try to come back for and maybe expand later. Others are just passing comments that I'll leave where they lie. Not necessarily in any particular order.

Steve Thomas: Speaking prophetically, the kingdom of God has now bottomed out. We should be expecting to see a rise in the kingdom in the future.

Mark Stibbe: The 2 main demonic forces ruling the world today are battling it out, and the church is sleeping while this is happening. [I believe he's referring to western consumerism and Islam.]

Barney Coombs: The church is full of spiritually orphaned, crying out for parents. Who will be spiritual fathers?

Mark Stibbe: People ask me why I am still in the Anglican church. It is because there's more glory in raising the dead than healing the sick.

Mark Stibbe: "there is HOPE in the neutral zone". Talking about Noah, after he was shut in the ark (Gen 7v16) being afloat, not able to navigate anywhere and just having to live through a time of drastic change. It is fully acceptable to float through the 'neutral zone' without having a specific destination you're heading to.

Sally Harding: If you want to put rocks in your bucket then you'll have to leave out some of the sand. "When I had less rocks in my bucket then I just put the sand back in - did anyone notice that for 6 months when I did less things my floors were cleaner?"

Mark Stibbe: The Ark was a temporary place of shelter and confinement and was not home. After restriction comes release.

Mark Stibbe: Change and transition are different. Change is situational, Transition is psychological. We need to not just create change, but manage transition. We need to move through the gate in 2008.

Sally Harding: It's not enough to just trust God - you need to take responsibility.

Barney Coombs: Handling finances according to how God speaks will influence the whole capacity of your ministry.

Richard Colebrooke: We need to oppose doubt masquerading as rational thinking, moaning and grumbling. We also need to be aware of people who can't keep up and aren't yet ready to move in faith.

Barney Coombs: Pruning is a blessing from the Lord.Pruning comes in seasons, but we need to ask: if God is not pruning me, is it because He's had to shelve me?

Barney Coombs: The first voice you hear is usually God. The second is usually the devil.

Steve Thomas: We have a rich heritage that travels with us in a ruckasck.

Mark Stibbe: We need to make a good finish. It is better to finish our lifelong race being supported than to win minor races but fail in the end.

Martin Dunkley: (quoting Barney) If God has said to do something then that's good, but if God hasn't said to do something then why are you doing it?


Other realisations that aren't exactly quotable.

We (Chris and I) are called to be spiritual parents here.

I am a natural and instinctive law-breaker. I instinctively lack respect for authority and automatically distrust it. I also lead others astray with my thinking.

I need to be ruthless about sin in my own life.

Most men are happy to make plans up as required at the time. Most women want plans in advance, despite knowing they will have to be changed.

I still feel a call to Italy some day, and wonder how it may be possible for us to become involved there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.