Wednesday 9 April 2008

Does it worry you to criticise other people's music?

Marc V had a post asking why various Canadian bands and musicians just didn't make it big internationally (he was thinking especially of the tragically hip). I left some comments having had a listen, only to feel commenters remorse.

I've been lent an album this week by a good friend. The band is prayer chain, and more than half the album pushes all the wrong buttons. They were described to me as the 'best christian indie band he'd ever heard'. 5 songs on the album are good but the rest really didn't want recording - it's not just me: Ben listened in the car and quite agreed.

Then there's a forum where someone posted a link to the Luna trinity guitar being played by Vicki Genfan. Incredible playing, but it's that ghastly sucky tapping tuneless style style pioneered by Andy McKie and now being ripped off wholesale by all and sundry. I liked the funky tones of the guitar, and this piece is better than most snappy poppy stuff, but still rankles.

People identify with music, and that's where it becomes a problem.

Hate my musical taste - hate me, is so often the message.

So it bothers me to criticise. It doesn't stop me, but I've tried to tone it down over the years.

I guess not everyone can share such good taste as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.