Wednesday 30 April 2008

Fern - you were asking my opinion

about those 750Gb Samsung drives.

Mine died last night - electro-mechanical failure.

I had the PC running shortly after getting home. read some blogs, checked mail etc, restarted to run Linux.

Click, click, click, click. PC starts to post, hangs at 'WINFAST' bios entry screen before reaching beeps.

Tried several times, eventually removed data connector, clicks still heard but PC now boots fine. Removed power connector, no clicks.

Looks like an RMA, possibly with a like-for-like replacement depending. It's very disappointing, as it was quiet and very quick. It's also a real nuisance being without that drive. Glad I didn't migrate everything across.

Reading through the ebuyer reviews of SATA drives in general, they seem to fail much more than the equivalent IDE drives. It doesn't seem logical, but that's definitely the impression I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.