Thursday 17 July 2008

Early morning thoughts

On Randalls blog there was a comment from Susan that I'd like to partly quote here.

Before becoming an Anglican I had no idea that there were so many “born again” Christians in the denomination because I had been told there weren’t. While we do not tend to use that particular phrase in reference to submission to Christ, I am grateful that we have so many evangelicals in our midst.

I wonder if the reason the Anglican church does not officially recognise being born again is because of Henry VIII's stance against the reformation. He gained the title of 'defender of the faith' by writing against Martin Luther and the theology of justification by faith, on which the concept of being born again was restored to the church. Somehow I suspect this is rather too great a simplification of the situation, but I still wonder if there's some basis in history......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.