Friday 8 May 2009

What's in a translation.

The bible is in many different versions, and there are many translations. Are they all the same?

I came across an interesting take on a scripture I know very well last weekend:

Genesis 3:16 (New Living Translation)

16 Then he said to the woman,

“I will sharpen the pain of your pregnancy,
and in pain you will give birth.
And you will desire to control your husband,
but he will rule over you.

Mistranslation or fascinating insight into the fall and it's consequences? If correct, it makes clear why certain scriptures are the way they are, and that they are not cultural alone.

I'd love to know.

And if what I'm talking about is not clear then ask me in church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.