Monday 29 March 2010

OK, so I'm old now.

And to prove it, I like listening to BBC radio 4.

A lot*.

They've done quire a lot of programs covering neurobiology, development and learning recently, and this morning they were talking about learning processes. As part of the introduction to the program, the presenter made a number of 'throw away' comments about the wrong understanding we have regarding use of the brain. Apparently the idea that we only use 10% of our brains is wrong (despite any evidence to the contrary from some quarters) and likewise the idea of being 'left' or 'right' brained.

I have no data, and TBH, neurobiology papers tend to be intensely boring, some there's no enthusiasm to go looking for references backing up or refuting this either. But I do wonder how such stories make it into popular culture.

*But not the radio plays or soaps - ESPECIALLY not the Archers - a complete waste of radio bandwidth and broadcasting funds IMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.