Thursday 8 April 2010

Sorted

I can barely type anything sensible today, but somehow I've I've sorted out a (reasonably affordable) bass amp and cab. The cab needs to be collected from Milton Keynes, the amp will ship.

Wattage required for bass is daft - the lower the frequency, the more power is required to drive the note. In Heyford Park chapel, when I played last autumn and it got a bit loud I was probably using around 4-5 watts through a 1X12 cab, and turning up the (15 watt) amp to half almost made the floor shake. Playing bass, I was having to work the 45 watt amp hard to actually hear myself over the (very quiet) lass playing drums.

The new amp is a well gigged 350 watt Hartke head, about 3 years old. It's been through the cosmetic wars a bit, having just come back from a tour, but is really good value. Certainly not top end, but probably better than an Ashdown MAG (I keep reading about how they can burst into flames) or budget Trace. I also have an old Carlsbro 1X15 cab coming. It isn't pretty, but it was VERY cheap, and is large enough that I should get some serious low end and be able to fill the hall, but gently. At some stage I may need to add a 2X10 for a bit more punch, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.