Tuesday 1 June 2010

To criticise or stay quiet?

There's a Christian worship musicians website that I enjoy (HMI - see the link on the left) with a strict "No Criticism" policy. One or two nudge the limits occasionally, but most people stay within the (reasonable) boundaries of decency.

However.

However there's a problem.

It stops reality.

I can and have criticised certain artists, styles of music and song content from here, and that can reflect reality, rather than just being a matter of opinion. But although I'd love to talk about these things over there, I can't bring myself to break the site rules. The danger of a lack of criticism is that any and every old tat gets given acceptance. The danger of permitting criticism is that you end up with a pit of vipers, and the snake with the longest fangs/slipperiest skin gets to guide everything.

I wish there was a place of reality in the middle, where a spade was simply described as such, rather than having to either skirt an issue or present pictures of the politician you didn't like dressed as Hitler/Bin Laden to make your point.

Bloomin' Christians are such a difficult bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.