Tuesday 18 January 2011

Hardware can get odd over time.

The 'Safecom' ADSL modem we've been using for the last 6 years started failing last week, and died completely this weekend. About 3-4 years ago I bought another for a friend to use, only for her to then go and get a BT broadband package that included modem etc, and so it was surplus to requirements. Because it was more modern than our existing one I tried to install and use it here, but it simply wouldn't work (it was an ADSL 2+ jobby - maybe BT weren't up to date round here?).

Anyway, tonight I thought I'd just 'see' if it could be persuaded into life. Plugged it in, switched on, VOILA, a connection. I didn't even have to set it up - all the settings had been remembered from when they were installed several years before!

Maybe it's windows that wouldn't work (since this machine is Linux) I wondered, so I got Ben to check for a connection wirelessly and that was fine, ditto Chris's accounts PC upstairs. So I've got 40 quid's worth of modem/router that I don't need on the way from Ebuyer - maybe I should keep it for when this one breaks down?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.