Saturday 4 November 2017

Curation is so much harder than creating

Next weekend Chris and I are both taking part in a local exhibition and art sale, and I need a tangible, coherent set of pictures that are pertinent to the area and hopefully attractive enough that some will end up on customer's walls.

Curation i.e. the selection of works to put together seems a consuming and highly negative business. All the shots that are 'interesting' or have some value to me as their creator have to be scrutinised and unless really useful, discarded for the purposes of showing. I've been through iterations of how the works might be displayed too, whether as hung pictures (how it will be) pictures in mounts presented in clear plastic sleeves (there will be those too) or photo books (this was an idea that kept coming back, but putting together a book that actually works is darn hard!).

My 'cop out' will be to set up a monitor with a continually changing slide show comprising around 500-1000 favourite images (500 images was the number that I wanted to exhibit at first pass) that can just keep playing while people watch.

The flip side to curation is that I just don't feel like processing images. There are quite a lot from Crete to work through & polish, plus more that have been taken since, like those from the Durdle Door trip earlier this week. Hopefully once this is out of the way then I shall feel like bothering again, and get back into the processing side again, to crank out more new stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.